As my 2nd post for the day, as a means of catching up, I’m cheating a bit and using Shewgirl’s Christmas Meme. Very fitting for the season, and a quick win to boot.
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper. For all the presents this year, I tallied about 5 hours of wrapping! But I so love the expectant faces and the ripping sound on Christmas day.
2. Real tree or artificial?
Artificial, though Kid1 has asked for a real one. I am fighting this as I see the recycling of the artificial one as greener – though it seems to drop the same mess.
3. When do you put up the tree?
Though the kids fight me, the rule is the first weekend in December. The kids do it now and thoroughly enjoy it, though there can appear to be less style in the haphazard arrangement of decorations.
4. When do you take the tree down?
Traditionally by January 6, though if we’re busy (or lazy) it may be a bit later.
5. Do you like eggnog?
Not sure if I’ve ever tasted it – I like eggflips…. are they similar?
6. Favourite present received as a child?
Hard to choose, but probably the apricot bike I got when I was 12.
7. Hardest person to buy for?
MotH! then my father – who I now just baked for, because that’s what he loves most.
8. Easiest person to buy for?
The kids, and my mother-in-law.
9. Do you have a nativity scene?
10. Mail or e-mail Christmas cards?
Christmas cards, though I’ve been slack the last couple of years. This year to immediate family I sent these lovely advent cards at the very beginning of December. MotH’s side, unfortunately, got ones from work (shhh, don’t tell).
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
A summer dressing gown from my sister-in-law that I’m sure she stole from a nursing home. I’m sure she wouldn’t have been caught dead in it, so why on earth would she think I would like it?? Worst KK ever.
12. Favourite Christmas movie?
Miracle on 34th Street – the original 1947 version.
13. When do you start shopping?
Usually around September I start picking things up, but the serious stuff happens in December and I can still be picking up bits’n’pieces the week before.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present?
Probably? Not against the idea.
15. Favourite thing to eat at Christmas?
The sweet stuff – Christmas pudding, white christmas, rum balls….
16. Lights on the tree?
Of course – about 3 layers that flash independently.
17. Favourite Christmas song?
Joy to the world
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home?
We only travel afterwards, but it can be a bit of both – depends on the year. Last year we went to Bright on December 27. This year we’re at home as we have a big holiday coming in February.
19. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer?
Dasher, Dancer, Donner, Blixen, Comet, Cupid, …. Rudolph (doh!)
20. Angel on the tree top or a star?
A star – lit up of course
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
22. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
Crowds – so we make sure the grocery shopping is done a couple days before Christmas, and don’t venture out to the sales until the 28th.
23. Favourite ornament theme or color?
I love baubles (balls) and would prefer to maintain a variation of one colour – probably silver, but that’s in my dreams. The kids go berserk and every colour and shape is used. Perhaps I’ll get my tree when they are grown, and no longer interested.
24. Favourite for Christmas lunch/dinner?
Roast meat (preferably pork) and roast vegies.
25. What did you get for Christmas this year?
I did very well – a tomtom & ipod nano, gold hoop earrings and a gold cross on a necklace, and a new handbag from KK. Absolutely no complaints from me – I felt especially lucky.